Sunday, November 16, 2014

Well, it's not as good as finding Jesus.

When I found out that I was pregnant with Archer, Dave promptly freaked out and decided that the only way that he could adequately provide for our growing family was to enlist. The man was like eighteen credits from finishing his bachelor's degree, but he enlisted anyways.

What this meant was that I spent a significant portion of my pregnancy alone, although we did think he was going to be able to make it home for the birth. I found out many things about myself during this time. One was that I love my mom and I actually enjoy her company. I sat at her hospital bedside for hours each day while I was pregnant. Another thing that I found out is that when you remove alcohol and partying from the equation, I am pretty good student. This was the point when I realized that I would be able to finishing my degree.

I found out that I am willing and able to eat the same casserole for several days on end. I am willing to spoon with a dog if I am cold enough. I am more than capable of getting stuck in a tiny shower stall. I found out that dragging around a ninety-pound pit bull can be physically painful when you are six months pregnant. I learned that I can scoop dog poop while in active labor.

I also found out that Capzasin reactivates when it comes in contact with water and it gets even hotter the second time around. I learned this in tandem to learning that I can get stuck in a tiny shower stall. This also happened while in active labor. I learned that ice is slippery on cement steps. I learned that my heavily tattooed, homeboy of a neighbor can move really quickly when he sees a pregnant lady slip and fall on her front porch.

I learned that I can entertain myself and take care of myself on a day to day basis. I learned that I can be pretty just to be pretty. I learned that I don't mind sleeping alone. I learned how proud I was of Dave and to be his wife.

I later learned that I could give birth alone. I  learned that I could figure out breastfeeding without his help. I learned that I didn't need Dave around to manage the sleepless nights and the endless crying. I learned to fall in love with my baby boy. I also learned that love isn't diminished by distance and that family dynamics all work differently.

I kind of learned to be a grown up when I was alone and pregnant. Well, at least I started to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment